While waiting for my lecture my laptop got hotspot signal. I hate waiting, so I try to install GNS-3 in my windows XP laptop.
What is GNS-3?
Taken from GNS-3 site :
"GNS-3 is a graphical network simulator that allows you to design complex network topologies. You may run simulations, or configure each device, from a simple workstation to a powerful Cisco router.
To allows complete simulations, GNS-3 is based on two existing projects:
- NS-3 , a discrete-event network simulator for Internet systems, targeted primarily for research and educational use.
- Dynamips, an IOS emulator which allows users to run IOS binary images from Cisco Systems.
GNS-3 is an open source product that may be used on multiple platforms, including Windows, Linux, and MacOS X.
In the current version (alpha release) which is still under heavy development, GNS-3 works only with Dynamips. The ns-3 simulation mode has not been implemented yet.
Currently supported features:
- Design of high quality network topologies.
- Emulation of Cisco routers.
- Load-balancing on multiple hosts/hypervisors when in emulation mode.
- Topology import and export.
- Image exports (PNG, JPEG, BMP, XPM)."
For complete windows package download here :
This packages contains :
- Dynamips 0.2.7
- WinPCAP 4.0
- Python 2.5
- Qt 4.2.3 DLLs and the MinGW DLL.
- PyQt 4.2
Lets install :
1. Double installer, click Yes
2. Select component to install, I already have WINPCAP 4.0 and Dynamips 0.2.7 when I use dynagen but I try to select 🙂 . Click Next
3. Installation Folder, click Install
4. Click OK
7. I Agree
8. Click Finish
9. Python install
10. Click OK
13. I Agree
18. I choose No
19. Try running program using provided shortcut In Desktop
Seems fun 🙂