Recommended VPS for your FreeBSD or Linux Server + Custom Iso Allowed (Free $20 credit for limited time, grab it now)
My friend want to install ubuntu server but he little afraid to do that in production server, he ask me to give hint what he should do.
I think using virtualization is enough to give more experience, so I decide to write steps taken for preparation to install ubuntu 8.04 LTS in vmware workstation.
This step by step taken in windows xp with vmware workstation and ubuntu server 8.04 iso :
1. Open Vmware then click :
File -> New -> Virtual Machine
2. Welcome Wizard will show up, click Next.
3. Choose ‘Typical’ and click Next
4. From ‘Guest Operating System’ tab, choose Linux
5. From Version, choose Ubuntu, click Next
6. Type in Virtual machine name choose location for vmware files located.
7. Choose Bridged, as I want it to appear with its own ip address.
8. Enter disk size then click Finish
9. Summary of virtual machine created.
Click on ‘Edit virtual machine settings’
10. Click on CD-ROM, choose ‘Use ISO image’ then click Browse to find real location of iso file.
11. Click on iso file and click Open.
12. Machine ready to roll on click OK.
13. Start new machine by click start (red arrow)
14. Installation process ready to start
Yes, by doing virtualization we’ll reduce machine needed to play around with, when sysadmin ready to install they can use real server.