My Peppermint OS 5 seem to let me behind with latest trend. Even I can install Sigil but it’s not latest one because of LTS stuff (yes, Sigil requires Qt >= 5.4 available in Ubuntu 15.10). I also can not introduce Krita for my daughter (its installed but crash). Obviously a lot of fun things I got with Peppermint OS 5 like setting brightness, set Team viewer 10 for remote my wife laptop. Use Xampp for Phalcon PHP backup. Learn Corona SDK a bit before switch to Ionic.
While latest Ubuntu will be out this April I actually will ignore it till 2019 but I can’t 🙂 . This LTS (Xenial Xerus) hard to refuse but I need it to follow latest trend). During waiting period I think I’ll use Elementary OS. I download and play with it and I love it until my friend came and told me about his arch linux box. I already knew that name from long time ago while I still working with FreeBSD server but I have no idea until I see it myself.
Being afraid of new challenge that I might see with arch linux I decide to look for beginner friendly distro that use arch linux as basis. Manjaro, Antergos are nice but I see other one called Apricity OS. Its GUI approach is really good and force me to end my waiting period for Ubuntu LTS after test it 2 days with virtualbox.
Installation Problem that might occur
As I will install new OS that I never use then I prepare my mental with these error type :
- Wifi not detect automatically
- Brightness setting each time start my laptop
- Huge download update
- Blank screen (this one from my virtualbox experience)
Installation of Apricity OS
After download and burn Apricity OS beta (March) DVD and dedicate my weekend with unexpected error plus RJ45 cable I’m very disappointed.
Installation process is smooth, my broadcom wifi automatically detected. Brightnesss setting stay forever without manual adust. Update download around 600+ MB with latest kernel (4.5) installed. No blank screen like I see with virtualbox. My RJ45 cable is no use.
Apricity OS available in 64 bit that make wife sad because she want it on her Lenovo 32 bit netbook.
Post Installation of Apricity OS
I add and remove a few stuff from my Apricity OS box :
- Remove libreoffice
- Remove steam (I don’t play game)
- Install Krita -> sudo pacman -S calligra-krita
- Install sigil -> sudo pacman -S sigil
- Install gitkraken -> yaourt -S gitkraken
- Install visual studio code 1.0 for linux -> yaourt -S visual-studio-code
- Install shutter -> sudo pacman -S shutter
- Install vlc -> sudo pacman -S vlc
- Install kazam -> yaourt -S kazam
- Install guvcview -> sudo pacman -S guvcview
- Install openshot -> sudo pacman -S openshot
- Install brasero -> sudo pacman -S brasero
- Install gparted -> sudo pacman -S gparted
- Install virtualbox -> sudo pacman -S virtualbox
- Install firefox -> sudo pacman -S firefox
- Install Opera -> sudo pacman -S opera
- Install Springseed -> yaourt -S springseed
- Install simplenote -> yaourt -S simplenote-electron-bin
- Install guake -> sudo pacman -S guake
Teamviewer depend on lib32-libpng12
yaourt -S lib32-libpng12
then install teamviewer
yaourt -S teamviewer
Install WPS Office
Depend on your /tmp partition. I have to adjust it before continue install wps-office.
sudo mount -o remount,size=16G /tmp
follow with wps office install :
yaourt -S wps-office
Note on install
Pacman and yaourt are best friends. 1st priority install always use pacman but when the package not exist yet then yaourt came for rescue.
My friend use pacman to install guake but its not work so the workaround for this case is uninstall then reinstall using yaourt.
sudo pacman -Rns guake
yaourt -S guake
- How to install android studio 2, click here.
- To upgrade yaourt based installation package :
Note on startup problems
Just remove it from systemd
sudo systemctl disable bluetooth.service