Basic FreeBSD questions for beginner like me 🙂
1. What is FreeBSD?
Wikipedia has the answer
2. Is it good as server?
Don’t know :-), see yourself in netcraft
3. Which version is the best?
For old hardware, consider using 4.xxx, for modern hardware use 6.xxx
4. Is there any video for installing FreeBSD?, I wanna see general view on how to install FreeBSD
For quick overview I make video using vmware 6, installing FreeBSD 4, 5 and 6. I wanna upload it in youtube, due to maintain problem I upload it in metacafe. Here’s the link :
- Link to video FreeBSD 4.11 at metacafe, other link video
- Link to video Freebsd 5.5 at metacafe, other link video
- Link to Video FreebSD 6.2 at metacafe, other link video
- Link to video FreebSD 7.0
I’ve upload new video about running vmdk FreeBSD 4,5 and 6 in VirtualBox 1.4, click here to see
Whats next? You can do many things in FreeBSD. Some recommended books for you :
- Absolute FreeBSD: The Complete Guide to FreeBSD, 2nd Edition
- Building a Server with FreeBSD 7
- The Best of FreeBSD Basics
- BSD Hacks
- The Complete FreeBSD: Documentation from the Source
- Absolute BSD: The Ultimate Guide to FreeBSD